East Allen Township
1728 - A community is settled along the Catasauqua Creek in the area we know as Weaversville. This was the first permanent settlement in Allenstown Township, Northampton County. The settlement was comprised of sixteen Scotch-Irish families led by John Craig. This became known as the Craig or Irish settlement. In 1755 John Hays built the “largest and finest” stone house in the “Settlement” at the present site of the Weaversville Hotel. A blacksmith shop was located across from the Weaversville Hotel property and existed there until the 1920’s. The settlement also included a grist mill and a Presbyterian church. Today there is still a stone church on this property, though it is the third church building to be built there and was constructed in 1813. The cemetery adjoining the church is well-maintained by the present congregation and many of the stone markers date back to the early 1700’s
Fort Ralston was built in 1757 on the farm of James Ralston (the present Dallas Spengler farm). This was one of the most centrally located farms in that time and was built for protection of the settlers. Some of the fort’s foundation of stone remain to this day.
St. Peter’s (Snyders) Church - On the hilltop farmland of John Snyder (Johannes Schnyder) a school house was erected and named Oxford School (named for the Oxford Creek that ran nearby). This was built around 1776 and was still being used in 1814 when the land was put into trust for “school purposes”. The original log school was replaced in 1836. In 1800 Sunday School was being held in this building and in 1864 the Reformed and Lutheran Church services were being held on alternate Sundays. In 1868 a new schoolhouse was constructed on the north side of the present church building and remains there today. This school continues to hold classes until 1947. The present brick church was erected in 1874,
The Friendship Tree - General Robert Brown, son of Samuel Brown, on of the first 16 Scotch-Irish pioneer families, returned to the area after the Revolutionary War and built his home on (Airport Road) north of Frank’s Corner. General Brown was gifted with two Horse Chestnut trees by his good friend General Washington and planted these on his property in 1781. One of the saplings survived and grew to a stately tree measuring 20 feet 7 inches in circumference which survived until 1921 when it was severely damaged by lightening. Nuts from the Friendship Tree were sent to all 48 State Universities at that time in the hopes of propagating offspring from this special tree.
At the end of the Revolutionary War, Benjamin Franklin (President of Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania) ordered the confiscation of lands owned by Andrew Allen (Son of William Allen) who was found guilty of aiding the British Army. The deeds held by many of the Scotch-Irish were ruled invalid and the Courts decided these landowners would have to make a second payment for their properties. Many landowners abandoned their properties to move on and settle in the Cumberland Valley. German families arriving on the shores of America and seeking religious asylum proceeded to purchase these abandoned farms and to settle in the area. These farms thrived in this rich agricultural area.
George Wolf Academy - One of the first German settlers in the area was the Wolf family. In 1785 the Allen Township Academy was built along the eastern banks of the Monocacy Creek. with the senior George Wolf’s help. George Wolf, Jr. was one of the first students enrolled in the school. This Academy was a school for boys only and was known for its commendable education. The school was abandoned in 1826, but still used for church services until 1870. George Wolf Jr., went on to be elected Governor of Pennsylvania and pursued the idea of education for all children.
Weaversville Academy - Built in 1840 this was a boarding school opening it’s doors to boys and girls and educating them beyond eighth grade level. The school lasted until 1902 and the building still stands in Weaversville today.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,903 people, 1,864 households, and 1,461 families residing in the township. The population density was 131.2/km² (339.9/mi²). There were 1,907 housing units at an average density of 51.0/km² (132.2/mi²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.65% White, 0.49% African American, 0.08% Native American, 0.55% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.71% of the population.
There were 1,864 households out of which 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.6% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.6% were non-families. 16.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.3% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 32.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $55,694, and the median income for a family was $59,007. Males had a median income of $40,194 versus $28,387 for females. The per capita income for the township was $23,684. About 2.5% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 1.6% of those age 65 or over.
The Township is served by the Northampton Area School District.